Course Repeatability Rules
Repeatable Courses ( 55040 and 55041)
Effective 2013, under normal situations courses can only be repeated three times. This implies a three strikes your out, for example if you got 2 W's and 1 F you cannot retake the class. However, for professional development courses under any of the following conditions you may repeat a course more than three times:
- To meet legally mandated training requirements as condition of employment or if you have a vocational need for course. You need to get an letter from your employer stating you need to take the course again due to your job responsibilities. Other reason can be you are currently seeking employment and need this skill.
- 55043 Course Repetition Due to Significant Lapse of Time, On page 13, CCC guidelines; if your occupation requires recency you may repeat the course more than three times. In general if more than three years have elapsed you may repeat the course. For lapses of time less than three years you can repeat the course if the material has changed substantially or if you had an extenuating circumstance such as accidents, illness or other circumstance beyond your control. (Reference page 3 Palomar College Course Repetition)
Almost all CIMW courses change a lot every three years, in fact many are totally different versions. CIMW110 recently added blogging, DW CS6, & creative cloud, CIMW105 SQL recently added triggers, constraints and PL SQL. CIMW220 recently added mobile animation, 3D animation and adobe edge. CIMW240 CSS, has recently added HTML5.0, CSS3, Chrome, and RWD. CIMW245 PHP has recently added WordPress, E-Commerce and Presta Shop. CIMW260 has recently added HTML5.0, jQuery, AJAX and jSON. Will be adding jQuery mobile, sencha and phone gap in the near future. CIMW280 has recently added image galleries, RWD and comprehensive exam testing. All CIMW courses are currently in process of supporting both Web and Mobile development. They will be fully mobile enabled by 2014, which is three years before current predictions, which place mobile Web page hits exceeding desktop page hits. These classes didn't teach any mobile Web development three years ago. Only courses that have not changed a lot in the last three years are basic Java and HTML courses. The success of Java is highly due to the fact that basic Java has remained constant for over 20 years. The advance Java courses CS4B do change a lot year to year. But the basic intro class CIMP7A is consistent.
- Vocational certificate completion, you need to complete a professional or CIM certificate.
These three were sent to a student by A&R 2022
- Documented case of Extenuating Circumstances: If one or more of your substandard grades is a result of Extenuating Circumstance (accident, illness, or other circumstance beyond your control) and you can provide evidence of your extenuating circumstances.
- There is a recency prerequisite of not less than 3 years on the course or program for which you seek to enroll, and you can provide evidence of the recency requirement from Saddleback or your transferring institution.
- Repetition is required due to legally mandated training (required by law) as a condition of paid or volunteer employment and you can provide evidence of the legally mandated requirement.
The A&R department doesn't currently have a formal process. But write up a statement that fulfills one or more of the three conditions above and references the California Community Colleges Guidelines on title 5 Regulations on Withdrawal, and Repetition and Enrollment for Non Repeatable Courses and/or page 3 of Palomar College Course Repetition.